Thursday, May 31, 2012

Extratropical Storm Beryl: May 30, Update A

Goodness me… what a note-worthy sort of day today turned out to be!

After yesterday’s post, I dreamt I had made “Bring Back Beryl” t-shirts and started a campaign to get the satellite images back on-line (yes, I have exceedingly boring dreams), but apparently my ‘mild rant’ yesterday did the trick because when I woke up this morning the GOES Floater imagery for Beryl was back on the website after a two day hiatus!! Of course it could be a remarkable coincidence, but it’s much more fun pretending that ‘a Jedi Master I am’, with powerful mind-influencing abilities (“these are not the droids you’re looking for” etc). ;-) (drat… if only I’d had a mild rant about something really useful like the numbers of the winning lottery ticket). Anyway, THANK YOU to whoever/everyone responsible for bringing the floater imagery back on-line. It was lovely to see Beryl this morning. J

The second amazing thing today was that I (almost) completely agreed with the NHC on their analysis of Tropical Depression/Extratropical Storm Beryl (umm… other than I still use the old-fashioned ‘extratropical’ instead of the new-fangled ‘post-tropical’ wording). I think this might be the first time I have agreed with (almost) every word I read from the NHC! In my <ahem> humble <ahem> ;-) opinion, they had the correct wind speeds posted throughout the day (because we have actual observations from buoys at sea as well as stations on land), they had a good handle on the location and direction of the storm, and they did not bump her up to a Tropical Storm again once she left the coast (at North Carolina) but realized she was moving faster than they expected yesterday so she didn’t have time to get stronger and went straight from Tropical Depression to Extratropical (post-tropical) Storm.

Around the middle of the day, when the storm ‘center’ was about 5-10 miles from Wilmington, North Carolina, I got an email from a fabulous on-the-ground reporter. Jennifer said: “It’s wet, wet, and more wet in Wilmington. It’s been raining here since last night and continues to be gray and, well, wet. Not terribly breeze, which is good because my gladiola’s were been beat up over the weekend with all of the wind.” A lovely rainy day... what more could one ask for? Sorry to hear about the damage your gladiola’s sustained. I hope they make a speedy recovery.

The NHC have stopped posting on Beryl, and so shall I. If we have any more, the next one will be Chris. As that is unlikely in the next 48 hours, I will be back for the official start of the season.

That’s all for now folks!
J.

Blogs archived at http://jyotikastorms.blogspot.com/
Twitter @JyovianStorm

-------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: These remarks are just what I think/see regarding tropical storms - not the opinion of any organization I represent. If you are making an evacuation decision, please heed your local emergency management and the National Hurricane Center's official forecast and the National Weather Service announcements. This is not an official forecast. If I "run away, run away" (Monty Python), I'll let you know.
-------------------------------

No comments: