Thursday, September 14, 2006

Hurricane Gordon and TS Helene: September 14, Update A

Hurricane Gordon:

He's still a big storm... there's been no change in the intensity since
this morning, although he will soon be over waters of 26 degcs C. There
is some wind shear as I said earlier, and which is keeping this storm
from growing any further. He is maintaining his status quo despite the
slightly cooler waters and wind shear because of other atmospheric
dynamics, because it's not the ocean. Actually, if it wasn't for the
wind shear and cooler temps, the other atmospheric conditions are ripe
for this storm to intensify further. He's still a good looking storm,
despite the shear. I'm attaching a photo so you can see the shear -
there are more clouds in the north-east quadrant. The shear is from the
south-west.

TS Helene:

Her forward sprint (22mph) has slowed down to a more respectable fast
jog of 16mph (o.k. so I'm not a runner... I guess that's more of a
really really fast jog!). Winds speeds are at 45mph (TS: 39-73mph), so
still not a very strong TS. But don't you worry, that will change and
she will grow. She's in an area of low(ish) wind shear, warm 28 degs C
water, and the center of this storm is not being exposed to dry air. She
is moving in a west-northwest motion, but I'm still going to wait a
couple of days before I have full confidence that she won't affect the
islands.

Oh, one more thing before I sign off. One of my good friends (being a
computer purist) insisted that if I'm calling this a 'blog', then I
should have a proper weblog - thanks Mr. H. :) So I'm proud to announce
the arrival of:

http://jyotikastorms.blogspot.com/ <http://jyotikastorms.blogspot.com/>

Some of these updates have already been archived in reverse
chronological order. If you're into blogs and RSS feeds and all that,
you can subscribe to the blog using your RSS reader (like Bloglines or
Newsgator) with this feed:

feed://jyotikastorms.blogspot.com/atom.xml

If you wish to be removed from the list and access the updates at your
leisure at the blog site instead, then please let me know. Also, while I
am saying thanks to my technical managers, I really need to thank Mr. V
for setting up and maintaining the list, ad Mr. D for offering to help
with maintaining it if needed. Proper thanks and full names will be
given at the end of the season. Assuming I can still type by then. :)

Ciao,
J.
------------------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER:
These remarks are just what I think/see regarding tropical storms (my
storm blog). If you are making an evacuation decision, please heed your
local emergency management and the National Hurricane Center's official
forecast. This is not an official forecast.
------------------------------------------------------

No comments: