Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hurricane Alex: June 30, Update A

As expected, he's a cat 1 hurricane, with winds of about 85-90 mph (cat 1: 74-95mph), central pressure 962mb, located somewhere around 24.5N, 96.2W. He's approaching the Mexican coastline (with outer bands over southern Texas) and will make landfall overnight. I don't think he'll become a cat 2, as it looks like he is beginning to weaken as he interacts with land - the convective activity is decreasing in the outer bands. He is tracking north of the current official forecast (and barely within the cone), which takes him closer to Texas, but I think it's still going to be a Mexico landfall. Hopefully the impact will be minimal!

I know, I said today's entry would be long and boring. Surprise! It's short and boring instead. ;-) That's because I fell asleep on the job! But he's moving along more-or-less as forecast since yesterday, so nothing to add really.

Until tomorrow amigos,
J.

Blog archives at http://jyotikastorms.blogspot.com/

-------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER:
These remarks are just what I think/see regarding tropical storms - not the opinion of any organization I represent. If you are making an evacuation decision, please heed your local emergency management and the National Hurricane Center's official forecast and the National Weather Service announcements. This is not an official forecast. If I "run away, run away" (Monty Python), I'll let you know.
-------------------------------------------

No comments: