Thursday, July 01, 2010

Tropical Storm Alex: July 1, Update A

Great googliemooglies! That'll teach me to go galavanting around during hurricane seasaon and neglect the storm. Alex sneakily went up to a cat 2 just before landfall, with a beautiful eye and everything. Boys. Huh. They never behave! ;-) (you know I'll say the opposite later in the season, don't you?)

Alex is now back down to being a Tropical Storm, but I agree with the NHC that he was a cat 2 with a central pressure of 947mb at landfall in Mexico around 9pm CDT yesterday evening. According to the NHC, his winds were 105 mph, making him a pretty decent strength cat 2 (cat 2 range: 96-110mph).

He is currently over central Mexico, somewhere around 22.4N, 102W, moving WSW at around 13mph. The minimum pressure is now at least 990mb, and rising, and winds are barely Tropical Storm force at 40mph (TS range: 39-73mph). Despite the low wind speed he has quite a bit of convection, and for a storm that's so far inland he still has A Lot of circulation in the atmosphere (which is interesting in a "hmm... that's interesting" sort of way).

Next time I decide to be away from a computer for a few days, I'll make sure Mother Nature knows so she can form another storm. This is my last entry on Alex... unless he makes the crossing into the Pacific! (highly unlikely, but he IS a bit stubborn).

Until next time, ciao for now! :-)
J.

Blog archives at http://jyotikastorms.blogspot.com/

-------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER:
These remarks are just what I think/see regarding tropical storms - not the opinion of any organization I represent. If you are making an evacuation decision, please heed your local emergency management and the National Hurricane Center's official forecast and the National Weather Service announcements. This is not an official forecast. If I "run away, run away" (Monty Python), I'll let you know.
-------------------------------------------

No comments: