Monday, August 09, 2010

Atlantic Blobette and Gulf of Mexico Blob: August 9, Update A

Atlantic Blobette:
Not too much to report since yesterday really. There is still some low level circulation, which you can clearly see for yourselves in the visible satellite images. I wrote about how to access those a couple of days ago - drop me a line if you didn't remember every word I wrote (and why don't you??? ;-) ) or you can't be bothered to look at previous entries (me neither). It's somewhere around 24N, 50W and moving WNW at 10-15 mph, but convection is really low - I think there's maybe 4-5 rain drops in there somewhere. It's surrounded by dry air (dust).
 
Gulf of Mexico Blob:
This blob was the strong convection over Florida, the Bahamas and Cuba yesterday. There's a tad bit of circulation in this system at the moment, centered somewhere over the SW Florida coast (near Naples/Ft. Myers I'm guessing), but there's no convection at that location.  The convection extends in a curved line from the northern Gulf coast down towards Cuba and then around and back up to the Bahamas (Florida has her shields set to 80% apparently). It seems unlikely that this will develop into a full blown tropical storm given that it's so close to assorted land masses, but southern Florida is a little umm... different... from other land masses. ;-)
 
Let's see... ah yes, another very important point I must address. I got a comment doubting Billy Crystal's presence in The Princess Bride. Wielding my super-magical powers (cough...Google...cough), I think he is there as Miracle Max. That was the funny little guy with a wife, and they lived in a tree or something and something then something else... anyway, he's in there, but just wearing a lot of make-up so he's easy to miss. ;-)
 
That's all for now.
Toodles!
J.
 
Blog archives at http://jyotikastorms.blogspot.com/

-------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER:
These remarks are just what I think/see regarding tropical storms - not the opinion of any organization I represent. If you are making an evacuation decision, please heed your local emergency management and the National Hurricane Center's official forecast and the National Weather Service announcements. This is not an official forecast. If I was there and was going to "run away, run away" (Monty Python), I'll let you know.
-------------------------------------------

No comments: