Friday, September 10, 2010

Tropical Storm Igor: September 10, Update A

Tropical Storm Igor:
Igor is back to being a Tropical Storm. I think he's been one for almost 24 hours and is actually stronger than the official intensity, which has him as a weak storm with estimated winds of 45mph (TS range: 39-73mph). Central pressure is estimated to be 1002mb. He's located at 16.7N, 33.3W and is moving westward(ish) at 21mph. Convection really picked up late yesterday and has remained strong throughout the day today. He also has extraordinarily strong circulation throughout the lowest half of the troposphere - which also suggests to me that he is a lot stronger than the official advisory. He is experiencing some wind shear from the east, so the bulk of the convection is west of the center of circulation. 
 
That's it for today. But while we wait for Igor to develop further, anyone fancy seeing an opera? I'm not very familiar with the language, but I'm sure they'll have surtitles. It's a fine but little-known Klingon piece: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11265311. ;-)
 
Qapla', (I think). (Hey, I had to use google too. Really I did.)
J.
 
Blog archives at http://jyotikastorms.blogspot.com/

-------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER:
These remarks are just what I think/see regarding tropical storms - not the opinion of any organization I represent. If you are making an evacuation decision, please heed your local emergency management and the National Hurricane Center's official forecast and the National Weather Service announcements. This is not an official forecast. If I was there and was going to "run away, run away" (Monty Python), I'll let you know.
-------------------------------------------

No comments: