Thursday, August 28, 2014

Hurricane Cristobel: August 28, Update A

I've arrived on this other planet called 'DragonCon', along with the Klingons, Wolverines, Daleks, Harry Potters and Hermiones, a gaggle of Superheroes, and a collective of other beings. So entertaining. Of course I'm Storm... who else would I be? ;-)

I see Cristobel is still officially a Hurricane with winds of 80mph, central pressure 973mb. I'd agree with this wind speed as he was trying to develop a little eye a few hours ago (not very clear though), so that would be around 90mph:

However his convection is relatively weak for such a storm, with very few strong thunderstorms and it looks like it is falling apart a bit. This is because his top is really part of that front that we've seen all week:

He's trying to be helpful and avoid most landmasses except one... (bwaa haa haa) 

Bardarbunga watch out! I see the B-movie title already... Hurricano! ;-) (copyright: Me!)

He is currently at 38.5N, 61.5W heading ENE at 36mph.  That superfast forward speed is another sure sign that he is caught up in a front, which is carrying him to the northeast.

I may not be on here tomorrow unless the other little 'disturbances' do something silly, but I don't think much is going on with Cristobel.

If you are at DragonCon, just a reminder that I'll be giving a talk on the wonderful stuff that goes on at XPRIZE at 5.30pm tomorrow, and right after that I'll be on a disasterlicious panel at 7pm on "A Practical Guide to the End of the World!" (panel will also contain a geohazards expert - earthquakes, volcanoes and the likes; a nuclear astrophysicist - solar flares, meteors etc; a biologist - sharks, dinosaurs etc; and an infectious diseases physician - plagues, ebola etc.- I think between us we have it pretty much covered! :-)).

Toodle pip until Saturday!
J.

Blogs archived at http://jyotikastorms.blogspot.com/
Twitter @JyovianStorm
-------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: These remarks are just what I think/see regarding tropical storms - not the opinion of any organization I represent. If you are making an evacuation decision, please heed your local emergency management and the National Hurricane Center's official forecast and the National Weather Service announcements. This is not an official forecast. If I "run away, run away" (Monty Python), I'll let you know.
-----------------------------

No comments: