Friday, October 14, 2016

Hurricane Nicole: October 13, Update A

Hurricane Nicole hit Bermuda earlier today as a mid-sized cat 3 storm, with winds officially at 120mph (cat 3 range: 111 - 129mph)...

So far the reports are of injuries and damage to infrastructure, power loss etc. I hope everything is back to normal as quickly as possible! 

There is some amazing drone footage taken as the eye was passing overhead... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEhXIbHyty0

Meanwhile, even higher overhead, footage of Nicole from the Space Station.... https://youtu.be/KErMYvcPge4

She is currently at 34.4N, 61.2W, heading ENE at 21mph. Winds are officially still 100mph, central pressure is 967mb, making her a cat 2 at the moment (cat 2 range: 96-110mph). Wind shear has taken its toll and I think she is much weaker than that now, as you can see from the latest satellite imagery...  

No eye, no structure. That little pink island is still there though. There is almost no circulation in the upper troposphere now. Here is the vorticity (circulation) map from 200mb (upper troposphere)... 

No red blob near the storm, just a mild blue blob. I would say she is a strong Tropical Storm at the most - winds around 70mph perhaps. 

It looks like she will peter out in the Atlantic next week...

So unless she does anything weird, I think this will be my last update on Nicole. 

I'll be back when the next one (Otto) pops up (if he does)!

Toodle pip,
J.

Blogs archived at http://jyotikastorms.blogspot.com/
Twitter @JyovianStorm
-------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: These remarks are just what I think/see regarding tropical storms - not the opinion of any organization I represent. If you are making an evacuation decision, please heed your local emergency management and the National Hurricane Center's official forecast and the National Weather Service announcements. This is not an official forecast. If I "run away, run away" (Monty Python), I'll let you know.

No comments: