Friday, July 10, 2020

TS Fay: July 9, Update A

Aagh, I just thought I'd check on the little blobette I saw earlier off North Carolina just before turning in for the evening and lo and behold, she's turned into Tropical Storm Fay. So... a blurry eyed quick update for now as she is close to landfall.

Currently at 36.3N, 74.8W, heading N at 8mph, she's a fairly weak thing with winds of 45 mph (TS range: 39-73mph), central pressure 1005mb.

Most of her stormy weather is actually offshore, as we can see in the infrared satellite imagery:

(Looks like there's more convection off Florida than in Fay). It looks like rain is already falling fairly steadily (the green areas) over parts of Delaware and southern New Jersey. 

Landfall is in less than 24 hours over the New Jersey/New York part of the world and then she'll head inland. With less than 24 hours to go, I don't expect much deviation in the general landfall area.  

She may get a little stronger because there isn't much wind shear, but then she will weaken as she moves north. So she'll mostly be a heavy rainfall event for the northeast. A day for er... staying at home (hmm, too soon?). Well, at least she'll cool things down a bit - I heard it was a bit toasty over there. 

I'll be awake tomorrow...  just in time to catch the end of Fay. 

Ciao for now my peeps!
J. 

Twitter: jyovianstorm
--------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER:
These remarks are just what I think/see regarding tropical storms - not the opinion of any organization I represent. If you are making an evacuation decision, please heed your local emergency management and the National Hurricane Center's official forecast and local weather service announcements. This is not an official forecast. If I "run away, run away" (Monty Python), I'll let you know. 
--------------------------------------

No comments: