Tuesday, July 22, 2008

TS Cristobal and Hurricane Dolly: July 22 Update B

TS Cristobal:
Currently at about 42.2N, 62.5W, he has weakened and has winds of 50 mph
(TS: 39-73 mph) so he's a fairly weak storm now with a central pressure
of 1005mb. He's zipping along in a NE direction at 28 mph. There was an
increase in rainfall activity during the day today, but that is dying
down again now and they system is slowly becoming extratropical
according to the NHS (I can't tell that part from the information I
have). I think this will be my last entry on our friend Cristobal. He
was a goodly little storm that did not create too much mayhem. :)

Hurricane Dolly:
A plane found hurricane force winds near 75 mph this afternoon (cat 1:
74-95 mph) so she is now a weak category 1 storm with a central pressure
of 986mb, located at 24.6N, 95.3W. There is no clearly defined eye yet,
but you can see where it should be. She's moving NW at 10 mph, and her
circulation at all levels in the troposphere has improved, suggesting
further strengthening before she makes landfall. Landfall will be
tomorrow, in the Brownsville, Texas area, right on the Texas-Mexico
border. She's a large storm so her outer bands extend all the way to the
southern Gulf states.

Water levels along some parts of the Texas coast are, at the moment,
about 1 foot above normal. You can look at this for yourself by going to
Tides Online - a NOAA/National Ocean Service:
http://tidesonline.nos.noaa.gov/geographic.html. Click on 'State Maps'
on the left panel, and then click on the state you are interested in and
then on the location of interest. Let me know if you have any questions
like umm... Where is Texas? Are they still part of the US? What are all
the other letters on the map? ;)

Actually, I've been to parts of Texas and it is a very nice state. I
have some good friends who live there. My web blog expert also lives in
Texas. And I still talk to them all from time to time. Really. I do.

Have a good evening everyone and if you are in coastal areas of Texas
(and actually Louisiana as well), be good.
J.

Blogs archived at: http://www.jyotikastorms.blogspot.com/
------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER:
These remarks are just what I think/see regarding tropical storms - not
the opinion of any organization I represent. If you are making an
evacuation decision, please heed your local emergency management and
the National Hurricane Center's official forecast and the National Weather
Service announcements. This is not an official forecast. If I "run away,
run away" (Monty Python), I'll let you know.
-------------------------------------------

No comments: