Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Post-Tropical Storms Teddy, Beta, and Paulette: September 22, Update A

What a year! A very sad milestone was crossed in the US today but things are, at least, looking up in the Atlantic... 

...where I see that the X-Men have vanquished all tropical cyclones. (And in case you were wondering, of course these X-Men are related to 'Storm'! ;-)). 

Post-Tropical Storm Teddy 

He's currently at 42.8N, 63.9W, heading N at 18mph. He'll be over Nova Scotia in a few hours.

It's a bit breezy there at the moment. Maximum winds are 80mph, central pressure is 957mb - which is very low for a cat 1 hurricane, which is what he would be if he wasn't extra-tropical in form now. It'll be mostly windy with some rain - not so much the thundery weather in this case. We can see this from the infrared satellite imagery:


Be safe up there in the north my friends. Let me know how you fare! 

Post-Tropical Storm Beta 

He made landfall in Texas, about 5 miles north of Port O'Connor, late last night as a weak Tropical Storm with winds of 45mph (TS range: 39-73mph). As expected, his was a weak windy but more rainy sort of affair and he's flooded parts of Houston (they are quite prone to flooding, alas). He's now at somewhere inland and was last seen as a Tropical Depression with winds of 30mph. This is my last entry on Beta. 

Post-Tropical Storm Paulette

Paulette is now pretty much a Tropical Depression as well, although winds are officially 40mph, central pressure is 1006mb, which puts her right at that TD/TS border. She's at 34.8N, 20W, heading E at 12mph. I think she'll fizzle out before Friday.

I think this will be my last update on Paulette as well. 

Depending on how Teddy behaved, I may pop in tomorrow. Otherwise, I'll be back for the next one (Gamma). 

Toodle pip! 

J.

Twitter:  jyovianstorm

--------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER:
These remarks are just what I think/see regarding tropical storms - not the opinion of any organization I represent. If you are making an evacuation decision, please heed your local emergency management and the National Hurricane Center's official forecast and local weather service announcements. This is not an official forecast. If I "run away, run away" (Monty Python), I'll let you know. 
--------------------------------------

No comments: